Indulge your craving for a burger with this healthy but no less mouth-watering alternative that makes use of flaxseed meal for added moistness and nutrition. Flaxseed is rich in alpha-linoleic acid and healthy fats; and has many disease fighting qualities. Flaxseed comes in several different forms; this includes the meal, or flour.
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red or green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup corn kernels
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- 1 large egg white, slightly beaten
- 2 TB bread crumbs
- 1 TB flaxseed meal
- 1/2 tsp. Old Bay Seasoning®
1. Heat oil in a nonstick pan over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, and corn, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring often, until soft but not browned, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook a further minute. Set aside to cool.
2. Preheat an outdoor or indoor grill or broiler.
3. In a large bowl combine cooked vegetables, ground chicken, egg white, bread crumbs, flaxseed meal, Old Bay, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix well with a fork or your hands and shape into 4 burgers.
4. Grill until burgers are cooked through and nicely browned, about 4 minutes per side.
Makes 4 servings
By Liz Scott